Monday, March 19, 2007

Iraq War Anniversary - A Call for Peace

technorati tags
, , ,

More from Sojourners and their Verse and Voice daily e-mail:
    Peace demands the most heroic labor and the most difficult sacrifice. It demands greater heroism than war. It demands greater fidelity to the truth and a much more perfect purity of conscience.
    - Thomas Merton, from "Thomas Merton on Peace"
Today marks the 4-year anniversary of the beginning of the war in Iraq. Jillian and I had planned to attend a Vigil service for peace this evening on courthouse square in Scranton. But now it is snowing and with a swollen ankle (and pregnant belly), Jill isn't feeling up to it. Frankly, I'm exhausted and am glad to stay home. At the same time, I had really hoped to go. I've never been to a protest or rally, and I want to lend my voice, my presence, and my prayers to this issue. I suppose that's one reason I have a blog.

It is my prayer this evening that those who lead find a way to end armed conflict and to work towards lasting peace - in Iraq and around the world.

Labels: , ,